Throwing a salad together seems simple enough…but does simple mean boring?
Salad generally isn’t something we search around to find new recipes for — it’s usually the same old routine, which can indeed become drab.
But guess what? It doesn’t have to be that way. (Whew)
It’s time to mix things up and make salads exciting, delicious and something you crave…and once you get creative and find your flow, this will undoubtedly be the case!
I certainly don’t have to convince you that salads are good for you. Salads generously provide you a healthy helping of nutrient-packed greens, nourishing raw veggies and an extra pep in your step afterwards.
With so many perks all in one bowl, it’s time to re-kindle your relationship with salads and get them back on your plate.
Here are 3 tips for making killer salads that you will long for:
1. Use ingredients that are fresh and in season. Take a trip to the Farmers Market or your local healthy grocery store to pick up some local, fresh and in season produce…your taste buds will thank you. For some inspiration, a few of my favorite veggies currently in season are grape tomatoes, radishes and zucchini.
2. Mix it up. Get creative with your ingredients and play with mixing textures. Combining raw veggies with one cooked veggie can really take it up a notch. For example, roasting some broccoli, mushrooms or onions to add to your salad will add an interesting and delicious element to your plate. Do you already have some ideas brewing? Don’t forget the fruit! Adding berries to a summer salad is refreshing and quenches that taste for something sweet.
3. Spin your greens. After you wash your greens, spinning them dry will help them not become soggy or too wet to absorb your ingredients and dressing. So break out that Salad Spinner and spin away!
If you don't have a salad spinner you can pick one up pretty cheap (I have even seen them at yard sales and savers for just a couple of dollars)
Are your ideas brewing already? What are you inspired to throw in your next salad? Hit ‘reply’ and tell me what you’re ‘cookin’ up!
I know you’ll want something special to put atop that delectable salad in your near future, so I’ve included one of my favorite easy, homemade salad dressing recipes for you below. Enjoy!
Homemade Balsamic Vinaigrette
• Olive oil -- 1/2 cup
• Balsamic Vinegar -- 1/3 cup
• Dijon Mustard -- 1⁄2 teaspoon
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• Basil -- 1⁄2 teaspoon
• Salt and Pepper, to taste
Combine in jar with lid, shake and store.
Have you joined our Monthly Group Challenge FaceBook group? In July we will be starting an "Eating With Intention Program" You can participate for FREE! Click HERE